Database Additions and Corrections Feedback/Contact

Data Source: USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)

While the names, locations and Feature ID (GNIS FID) used for physical and cultural geographic features in this gazetteer are the official ones specified by the American National Standards Institute in ANSI INCITS 446-2008, suggested additions and or corrections are welcomed.

The official database is maintained by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names in the USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The official database is continuously updated, while this site is updated six times per year as the USGS makes database revisions available for public use.

Contact the USGS GNIS Manager for Additions or Corrections:

When contacting the USGS GNIS Manager to suggest additions or correction, reference this HomeTownLocator site in your communication.

1. Check the listing in the USGS GNIS public query site since the official database is updated more frequently then this gazetteer.

2. For suggested corrections or additions to cultural (manmade) features (schools, churches, cemeteries, etc.), email the USGS GNIS Manager ( Please provide as much information as possible including the full official name of the feature, source of the name, location (coordinates if available), class of feature (feature definitions), and reason for change or addition.

3. To change the name of a natural feature or to apply a name to natural feature that does not have one, complete the official Board on Geographic Names Form or submit the same information via email to

Suggested additions or corrections will be verified by USGS Names Data Specialists. Cultural feature changes may be entered into the official GNIS within a few days or up to a month depending on workload, but it may take a few months for the changes to be reflected on this and other web sites. Natural feature name actions require formal review by the Board on Geographic Names and can take up to six months. You will be notified of the status and completion of the request. Please submit questions to